Never a raised voice from the skipper even when:-
a) I got the runners astride the spreaders for the third time running while tacking in the Beaulieu River
b) I lost 50m of warp over the side in the Beaulieu River.
The nearest to it was when he overturned a plastic beaker of Le Montrachet provided by my wife , yet even then…..
Johnny Bevan

    I once asked if we needed to get anything to go with the lamb at dinner. Richard suggested that I have a look in the galley up forward first. There I found several varieties of mint sauce, mint and redcurrant jelly, as well as at least four different kinds of mustard. Silly question really!
John Bourke

    Many of us in the Hume-Wright family have had the pleasure of enjoying Thalassa, thanks to Richard’s generosity – including my father, who sailed with Richard’s father-in-law, many, many years ago! So for all of us – many thanks, and congratulations!
Anitra Bowers

1. I tell this story of this amazing Captain who by dead reckoning found the correct buoy in blind fog with the crew quite apprehensive. We all cheered and clapped on arrival (Lyme Bay).
2 I have a nightmare of sitting in the heads with the mast between my legs – the boat lurches and I am pinned to the loo as the mast sways back – forth – I only went to the heads when there was someone below deck to rescue me.
Michael Bretherton

    At dead of night in pitch darkness, Judy heard the heads dripping and went in search of Adrian in the men’s cabin to see if he could fix it. When he didn’t respond even to loud whispers of “Adrian!” she ruffled his hair until eventually he stirred and a voice said “Adrian’s over there!” Richard slept blissfully through it all and the darkness hid Judy’s blushes – till the morning!
Adrian and Judy Bull

    To the Skipper of the finest cellar at sea, a thousand thank you’s. Psalm 107: 23-24. AlL our love.
Nigel and Lizi Cope.

    One of my unforgettable memories of sailing in Thalassa was the voyage from West Mersea to Dun Laoghaire. With 5 in crew we set sail victualled with enough food and drink to keep 10 men happy for a month. Nevertheless, to everyone’s dismay we ran out of whiskey as we rounded Lands End. After a time some of the crew began to look a bit despondent and I was heartily congratulated when I produced an emergency bottle from my kitbag. There was still quite a long way to go and in due course, in case the sense of despondency returned, my father-in-law, George Mandow, who was a doctor, produced a bottle of Johnny Walker medicine from his kitbag. Before we reached Ireland it transpired that the whole crew always carried emergency supplies, and after five days at sea it was a bunch of very jolly, bearded pirates who picked up a buoy in Dun Laoghaire harbour. A launch was sent out to collect us and I remember stumbling up the steps of the yacht club to be greeted by the Commodore and Flag Officers, - with a club steward in attendance bearing a tray of five half full tumblers of Irish Whiskey!
Peter Corby

    My abiding memory must be waiting an hour for the kettle to boil for early morning tea, while listening to monumental snoring from the berths!
James Courtenay

1. Vivid memories of wonderful trips – but nearly always forgot grace and started eating too soon!
2. Swimming with camera above head between Carrick Roads and Torbay to take photos.
Gordon Coutts

The day I ran Thalassa aground …..
    In the early 1990s we had taken an unusual midweek break. Four yachts with guests from the Christian Youth Enterprise Centre in Chichester Harbour, sailing in loose formation in the Solent. Finding berths suitably close to each other wasn’t going to be easy, but pontoons at the UK Sailing Centre, not too far up the Medina, were available. The location would allow some of our young guests to burn off energy on the longer walk into Cowes. We entered from the downstream side and moored still pointing up the Medina. The following morning, as forward boat, I headed for the upstream exit in the 36’ Hillyard ketch Diphda. Paying less attention than I should have done to Thalassa’s significantly greater draft, I allowed Richard to follow me out, only to see Thalassa grind to a halt, keel hitting the mud on a falling tide. Despite rapid deployment of warps and winches, she was firmly embedded for the day, only able to rejoin the remaining boats in Yarmouth late in the afternoon.