For all, the good food, company, humour, kindness and generosity of Vivian and Richard, may I always remain truly thankful. May Thalassa continue to sail on for many years with the same gracious dignity – even when sitting on a pimple “in Brehat”
Jan Mangles

    Sitting in the galley, legs braced, cooking something stored under the floorboards (is the galley still in the bow?). Liam (Gibbon) standing in mist and dark with a v.small foghorn as we crossed shipping lanes en route from Dublin to Lisbon in 1971/2. Cherry Brandy/sleeping by the engine when it was running! Never seeing Richard loose his cool!
Sarah McKearney (Gibbon)

    We spent a few hours stuck at an alarming angle on an uncharted rock off N. Brittany about 1998. Richard may not like to be reminded of it!! I need to check where it was, Perhaps it should be called “Sewells Rock” when someone decides to mark it on the chart. We had had an excellent dinner ashore on this island and returned to find Thalassa aground.
Tim Moriarty

    My first offshore cruise on Thalassa when I was 14 years old, straight into a force 8 gale from Dartmouth. Turned back and went into Plymouth arriving 24 hours later and arguing with Philip as to who drank the cherry brandy!
Louise Morton

    Said to his Royal Naval son-in-law “There are only two useless things on a yacht; an umbrella and a naval officer” ….. thanks Richard, I hope I proved otherwise.
Peter Myres

    Sailing down the Beaulieu river with our sails up, someone on another boat shouts out, at us, “lovely boat!” Philip Sewell shouts back “you should see our other one!”
    I asked a couple sailing one weekend and they arrived, as a newly married couple, with the expectation that they would have a joint berth to sleep in , they were sorely disappointed when they saw the sleeping arrangements!
    Memory of cruise in Brittany. Dad taking us out to a very expensive restaurant where the waiters arrived with silver domes over each of our plates. When these were removed we were greeted with a tiny portion (nouvel cuisine style) and for hungry Thalassa crew it did not suffice. Members of the crew were later spotted visiting the local fish and chip shop.
                  Anchored off Osborne Bay I awoke to see what looked like tall houses on the shoreline, surrounded in fog. I woke Dad who thought the same and in a panic rushed down to study his maps to find out exactly where Thalassa could have dragged her anchor to. It was only, a little while later, when the fog had slightly lifted that we realised the landing posts that were spread across the beach had become distorted in the fog and in outline looked like houses. All was OK and the skipper was able to go back to sleep in the knowledge that he had indeed not laid a faulty anchor. My overall memories of my time on Thalassa have been ones of fun, laughter, exhilaration, great conversations, rest and relaxation and large quantities of delicious and wholesome food and this all being attributed to the most fabulous skipper who seems to have a bountiful patience and loads of humour. Well done Dad, we’ve had such great times on board (even if we have suffered from sea sickness!) and thank you so much for all of those wonderful times.
Lots of love Ems x
Emma Myres